History

The first school was opened at Stratford in 1864. It was a one room weather board construction measuring forty feet by twenty feet. During the period between 1864 and 1929 the school experienced two closures - the first due to withdrawal of state aid and the second due to a decline in numbers. The building was sold to a local farming family at Perry Bridge.

Under the guidance of Bishop Ryan a new building consisting of three classrooms was constructed and in 1929 the school was reopened with the Sisters of Saint Joseph in charge.

The Sisters remained at Stratford until 1959 when they were replaced by the Sisters of Our Lady of Sion. The last Religious Principal at the school was Sister Lauraine Brice who retired in 1990 after twenty-three years at the helm.

In the early eighties, student numbers began to climb significantly and in 1989 two new classrooms and an administration wing were added. A few yeas later a portable room was purchased and renovated to become the school's library. The school received further extensions in 2002 with the addition of another portable classroom, a multi purpose room and kitchen.

Saint Patrick's is a school with a rich history being one of the very early Catholic schools of Gippsland. We appreciate enormously the work of our Parish priests past and present and also the work of the Josephite Sisters and the Sisters of our Lady of Sion who were the school's earliest teachers. We acknowledge the contribution of these pioneers who spread the good news and established the Catholic tradition in Stratford and district, overcoming many obstacles through their extraordinary faith and dedication.

In recent years the school has received Federal Government funding to upgrade infrastructure and facilities at St. Patrick’s. New and refurbished classrooms, a renovated administration block and the construction of a contemporary library/ICT centre have been major capital improvements in the school that students, staff and families are proud of. They are reflective of our ongoing commitment to providing excellent facilities for all members of the school community.

2 Merrick Street, Stratford / 3862 Victoria Tel: 03 5145 6463 Fax: 03 5145 6823 Send us an e-mail